Having understood, that God’s blessing is much more tan increase and fruitfulness,, we then see the next event that comes with God’s blessing. It is the story of Noah.
But before Noah receives the blessing, sin brings a curse on the world. God curses Satan and the serpent has to now crawl on it’s belly. God says that man will now have to The world moves from being under God’s blessing to under the curse, and will have to wrk the land to get food.
But God is more about blessing than curse. And so we see Noah arrive on the scene at a time when the world has become infinitely evil. This is the way the Bible describes Noah:
- Blameless among the people of his time
- Walked faithfully with God
- Obedient (he did everything God instructed him to do)
Whenever you walk in righteousness, the blessing of God will overflow you. Noah was fully righteous. In fact, he was blameless. Wow, wouldn’t it be great to be called blameless by God? In addition, he walked faithfully with God. Righteous, blameless and faithful! And when God had instructed Noah to build the ark (at a time the world had never seen rain or floods), the Bible says Noah obeyed God in every way.
God establishes a covenant with Noah Gen 6v18
When they come out the ark God blesses Noah and says
- Be fruitful (a repeat of the blessing spoken over Adam)
God then makes a covenant with every living creature on earth and he gives a sign to the earth that God will never again destroy the earth by flood. That sign was a rainbow. I found it interesting that God established the rainbow as a remembrance for God (Not for man). The rainbow will be a sign for who? For God to remember!
- The sign of the rainbow is a sign to man that God remembers his covenant
Finally Abraham arrives on the scene in Genesis 12
V 2 “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.
The blessing included
- God will make his name great
- Abraham will be a blessing
- Whoever blesses Abraham will be blessed
- The blessing will reach all nations on earth
Some spiritual lessons
- We must expect increase and fruitfulness
- We must bless one another
- Expect the blessing to flow between each other